TCP Free-BSD setup behaviour.

saravana perumal seesaravanan at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jun 15 07:44:17 UTC 2009

Hi Louie ,

Thanks for the Response on my Queries.

For QUERY 3,
ACTIVE open frm Free BSD end:

       FREE BSD          APPLICATION
                Send ---------> syn
                Receive <-------- SYN

Expect SYN & ACK-------------> Getting only ACK in this Scenario,

 Now Expects FREE BSD to respond back with the SYN & ACK , but BSD is sending only ACK message as the response.

4    .When checking the State - TIME-WAIT    Sending FIN and expecting the ACK ;Getting the ACK properly.   Sending Data Segment and Expecting the RST signal not getting the RST ; Instead DUT is sending the Last TCP packet. Issue seen only in Free BSD

For this Issue mentioned above, Last TCP packet is jst a Testing packet with the
following Field set  in TIME-WAIT state ,

TCP: ---- TCP Packet ----
TCP:
TCP: Source Port           = 16815 (16815)
TCP: Destination Port      = 16816 (16816)
TCP: Sequence Number       = 3865716731 (0xE66A27FB)
TCP: Acknowledgment Number = 0 (0x00000000)
TCP: Data Offset           = 5 (20 bytes)
TCP: Reserved              = 0
TCP: Control Bits          = 0x10
TCP:  |543210
TCP:  |0.....              = Urgent Pointer Isn't Significant
TCP:  |.1....              = Acknowledgment Is Significant
TCP:  |..0...              = No Push Function
TCP:  |...0..              = No Reset Connection
TCP:  |....0.              = No Synchronize Sequence Numbers
TCP:  |.....0              = More Data From Sender
TCP: Window                = 32752 bytes
TCP: Checksum              = 0x41A0 (Correct)
TCP: Urgent Pointer        = 0 (Not Significant)
TCP:
TCP: --- Trailing Data [12 bytes] ---
TCP:  53 61 6D 70 6C 65 20 44 61 74 61 00               Sample Data.
TCP: --- Trailing Data End ---

>From machine Sending  to the FREE BSD machine,

This is to verify that Free BSD is in TIME-WAIT state.

Thanks,
Saravanan