kern/125195: [fxp] fxp(4) driver failed to initialize device Intel 82801DB

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Jun 12 20:10:03 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR kern/125195; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, francisgendreau at videotron.ca
Subject: Re: kern/125195: [fxp] fxp(4) driver failed to initialize device
 Intel 82801DB
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:07:50 -0700

 Some more followup - I moved my own problem fxp0 card to a FreeBSD
 4.11-RELEASE system and it is detected fine, no "MII without any PHY"
 error message.  The system that I was getting the "MII without any PHY"
 error message on was a FreeBSD 6.4 system.  The problem fxp0
 card is an Intel Etherexpress Pro/100, with a S82557 chip on it.

 Since it is a standalone PCI card and not embedded on the motherboard
 I can exchange it easily, - if anyone would like it for debugging I'd be
 happy to send them my card in the mail.

 To Francis, if possible could you download an older version of
 FreeBSD and check it on your hardware?  You can find older versions
 here:

 ftp://ftp.cse.buffalo.edu/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/

 The really old versions, ie: 4.11 and such, only have full-blown
 install ISO's and may also lack PCI IDs for your chip in which case
 the card wouldn't even be detected at all.  But, the newer versions
 like 5.5 and so on do have boot-only ISO CD images which shouldn't be
 that bad.

 If an older driver version detects your card and attaches without the
 error message, we can assume this is a bug introduced by one of the
 patches to the driver, and it should be easy to zero in to the patch
 that is responsible.