Ethernet NIC drivers depending unconditionally on INET

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Fri Jun 12 14:30:05 UTC 2009

Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> if_mxge:
> mxge_rx_csum() has one in_pseudo(). The function and callers
> already seem to know how do deal with results in case the csum can't
> be validated. So this should be a simple #ifdef INET wrapping here;
> side note: the tcpudp_csum variables in the callers are not needed.
> side note: huge inlining going on there;)
> mxge_lro_flush() has another call to in_pseudo(). As with if_igb/ixgbe

Thanks for pointing those out.  It will be a few days before
I've got time to deal with it properly.  If you don't see
me commit a fix within a week, please remind me.

 > if there is no INET there should be no LRO for now, the capabilities
 > not advertised, etc.  Be prepared in case LRO will arrive for IPv6.

As to LRO & IPV6... I was going to port our LRO for IPv6,
but discovered the state of IPv6 in FreeBSD is so disgraceful
that there was no point.  Eg, there is no checksum offload,
no TSO, etc, for INET6.  Once those things are there, I'll
be happy to provide LRO for IPv6.

Drew