Unable to clone wlan device

Vladimir Terziev vladimirt at partygaming.com
Tue Jun 9 10:44:16 UTC 2009

The actual problem, i play with wlan cloning because of, is, i try to
set up a FreeBSD based wireless access point either based on ral(4) or
iwi(4) interface.

The ral(4) (which is "Edimax EW-7128g") seems more suitable for that,
since it has HOSTAP capability, but when i tried to run a hostapd(8) on
it, i got an error about inability TKIP to be configured by hostpad(8).
Since TKIP is not present as a capability of the wireless adapter, i
decided to clone it and use the wlan_tkip(4) module to do the work.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Vladimir

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 13:08 +0300, Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> On 6/9/09, Vladimir Terziev <vladimirt at partygaming.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Paul,
> >
> > i have tried the same with ral(4) device and got a similar result.
> >
> > What about ral(4), does it support virtual interfaces ?
>
> No it doesn't. The only chips capable of multi bssid I'm aware of
> are atheros ones and only on >= 8.0.
>
> > On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 11:34 +0300, Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> >> wlan cloning is only available on 8.0, and iwi supports only one
> >> virtual
> >> interface at any time.
>
> --
> Paul

This email and any attachments are confidential, and may be legally privileged and protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient dissemination or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender by replying by email and then delete the email completely from your system.

Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender.  This communication is not intended to form a binding contract unless expressly indicated to the contrary and properly authorised. Any actions taken on the basis of this email are at the recipient's own risk.