bge(4) ASF problem report...

Juli Mallett jmallet at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 5 00:14:06 UTC 2009

Hey there,

On my HP DL360 G4 with bge interfaces identified as "NC7782 Gigabit
Server Adapter, ASIC rev. 0x2100", I find that having ASF enabled
results in a total system freeze.  Is anyone else running this
hardware on either 7.x or 8-CURRENT?  If so, I'd love to hear whether
hw.bge.allow_asf=1 (the default on 8-CURRENT) is problematic for you
and whether setting it to 0 instead fixes it.  I'd like to disallow
ASF by device ID if this reliably affects this hardware, but this is
the only DL360 G4 I've got.

Any objections?  Or is there anyone who cares about bge who would be
interested in trying to figure out what the actual problem is?  Note
that I haven't tried enabling the iLO shared network port stuff, so I
don't know if that would have any unfortunate interactions with ASF
support or lack thereof.

Thanks,
Juli.