Interrupts + Polling mode (similar to Linux's NAPI)

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 30 15:47:44 UTC 2009

2009/4/29 Erik Trulsson <ertr1013 at student.uu.se>:
> That appearance is probably due to the fact the the FreeBSD project actually
> is a bunch of dudes working on what they feel like doing (or in a few cases
> on what they get paid for doing), and that there is very little centralized
> planning being done. (And even if there was, there is no way of enforcing
> that people work according to such a plan.)

There's more centralised planning in the network stack then you seem
to think there is.

Personally, I'd like to see some of the multi-thread em stuff (iirc
for non-multi-threaded cards) that some company has written and kept
up to date make it into -current as it obviously works for them and
may work well for other people.

But "stuff" is happening and along a roughly consensus which will be
probably playing out some more during BSDCan in the upcoming week or
so. Pay attention to what Robert, Jeff and Kip (may) talk about there.

2c (as an observer of all of this..)

Adrian