Interrupts + Polling mode (similar to Linux's NAPI)

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Tue Apr 28 21:25:39 UTC 2009

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> If i am not mistaken we don't have generic support for interrupt moderation
> in the kernel but that's a specific NIC feature: it works if the
> hardware supports it, and it doesn't otherwise.
>
> Of course it would be possible to modify polling to implement
> generic interrupt mitigation even without hardware support, so
> you get the best of the two worlds.

It seems to me that you're wasting your time if you are trying to
achieve a high throughput in FreeBSD without using an Intel Pro/1000 or
10gbe networking card.

So I don't know if anyone would really miss out if generic polling
support was completely removed from the kernel and all efforts were then
placed into improving other parts of network flow in the kernel which
need more help.

- Andrew