IPv6 Ideas

Nathan Lay nslay at comcast.net
Fri Apr 24 18:54:15 UTC 2009

Matthew Jakeman wrote:
> Nathan Lay wrote:
>> I started playing with IPv6 on my home network with the intent to
>> transition over.  While many things work quite well, IPv6 technology
>> in general still seems to have some rough edges.
>>
>> In terms of FreeBSD support, rtadvd and rtsol do not yet support
>> (easily? -O option in rtadvd/rtsold) RFC5006 (Router Advertisements
>> Option for DNS Configuration) which make it inconvenient to use
>> mobile devices (like laptops) on an IPv6 network.  I haven't had much
>> luck with net/radvd.
>
> What are your problems with using radvd? I have used it quite a bit on
> FreeBSD (6.1) without any hassle. It's even written quite nicely in my
> experience so working on patches for it should be quite do-able if
> there are features missing.

radvd actually does support DNS advertisement (but rtsol doesn't, so it
doesn't matter).  The problem is, it doesn't work.  on 7-STABLE it dumps
"Can't assign requested address."  I think it has something to do with
if_bridge not having a link-local address (apparently the standards are
ambiguous about link-local addresses on bridges).  To make rtadvd work,
I had to tell it to advertise on bridge-member interfaces directly.

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay