kern/133572: [ppp] [hang] incoming PPTP connection hangs the system

Dennis Melentyev dennis.melentyev at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 09:30:08 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR kern/133572; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dennis Melentyev <dennis.melentyev at gmail.com>
To: Max Laier <max at love2party.net>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/133572: [ppp] [hang] incoming PPTP connection hangs the
	system
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:28:46 +0300

 Hi Max,

 Just read your discussion with Matt and Rembrandt on DragonflyBSD list
 on OpenBSD's PF issues.

 Although I can't afford to restore the configuration to test the
 issue, but I feel, that problem could be connected to IPv6 +
 PPTP/GRE/PF/IPv4.
 The machine we've tried to connect from was running Vista. AFAIR, it
 tries to make some use of IPv6. Can't tell anything on XP or other
 clients - never tried that.
 OTOH, outgoing PPTP (IPv4) session from MPD4 to some HW VPN router
 (sorry, anonymous to me) was just fine.

 Hope this helps.

 I can't upgrade ATM, but still can supply config files if needed.

 /dennis

 2009/4/15 Dennis Melentyev <dennis.melentyev at gmail.com>:
 > Hi Max,
 >
 > It was some hard time for me, sorry for late response.
 >
 > I did enabled KDB, DDB and WITNESS on the same sources.
 > Unfortunately there was just plain hangs once some GRE was trying to
 > get through (netgraph? PF? routing?)
 > With these options enabled, hangs are much more often than without them.
 > Once hung, no way to break into debugger, no panics, numlock not
 > changing lights on keyboard, mouse not responding, hdd silent, network
 > not available, nothing.
 >
 > 3 different HW platforms were tried (all of them were UP+i386+32bit).
 > Highest CPU temperature was 52C. No chance to go with 7.2-PRERELEASE.
 >
 > Had to downgrade to 7.1-RELEASE.
 >
 > /dennis
 >
 > 2009/4/11 Max Laier <max at love2party.net>:
 >> Is it possible for you to turn on WITNESS on this machine to obtain poss=
 ible
 >> LORs that might be responsible for the hang? =C2=A0Also, do you have the
 >> possibility to enable DDB and drop into it from the console (if it is no=
 t a
 >> hard hang but a live lock)?
 >>
 >> --
 >> =C2=A0Max