Multiple default routes / Force external routing

Peter Cornelius pcc at gmx.net
Mon Apr 13 07:20:47 PDT 2009

Dear list,

I've poked about for weeks and asked similar questions in -questions and elsewhere without avail. Probably using the wrong keys to search and ask:

I have set up a box with various vlan interfaces on it. I naively expected to be able to set individual "default" routes and route between them via an *external* router (and filter packets there etc.) but somehow all packets seem to "short-circuit" locally, and I don't seem to be able to see why this is so and how I prevent that.

I also fiddled with FIBs (setfib(1)) but I think I need to correct my naive interpretation of FIBs :). Anyways, it did not help my interpretation of the above, at least not at first sight (but may wrt the default route if I get the short-circuit out of the way).

Any help, pointers etc. appreciated (if need be off-list ok)...

Thanks a lot,

Peter.