two NIC on 2 core system (scheduling problem)

Bartosz Giza bartosz.giza at korbank.pl
Tue Oct 28 04:25:07 PDT 2008

Tuesday 28 of October 2008 11:49:21 Oleksandr Samoylyk napisał(a):
> Ivan Voras wrote:
> > Bartosz Giza wrote:
> >> Another question is why em0 taskq is eating so much cpu ? BGE
> >> interface is actually one that pushes 2 times more packets than em0
> >> and it uses about half cpu comparing to em0. Is that not strange ?
> >> Could someone tell my why is this happening ? BGE is faster ? or maybe
> >> i can tune some
> >
> > I have the same problem - em0 taskq eating incredible amounts of CPU.
> > If you find a solution, contact me!
>
> It could be not just a problem with em driver.
> Firstly, it's good to make profiling and find out what exactly eats CPU
> time.

Yes, we should make some profiling, but it is quite hard on busy production
router. When i turn on pooling on em0 card swi1: net is using about 3% of
cpu. So it is quite big difference between  20% with tasq and 3% with
polling.
BTW: i am using

em0 at pci0:3:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x10838086 chip=0x10b98086 rev=0x06
hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '82572EI PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter (Copper)'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

I know it is desktop card but i thnik it should not use so much cpu. Besides
intel card and em driver is supposed to be the best on freebsd. But from my
observation bge cards are better for now.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Bartosz Giza, Administrator sieci