VLANs and hardware options

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 13 15:25:21 UTC 2008

I have the following situation:

bce0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	options=1bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4>
	ether 00:14:5e:6d:2d:74
	media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseSX <full-duplex>)
	status: active

vlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
	ether 00:14:5e:b3:2a:38
	inet xx.xx.xx.xx netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast xx.xx.xx.255
	media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseSX <full-duplex>)
	status: active
	vlan: 250 parent interface: bce1

e.g. the network card is directly on a trunked network, and I have the
vlan interface with actual IP address. My question is: since this setup
mixes various network&protocol layers, are the TSO capabilities of the
card used? I guess not and that only RXCSUM & TXCSUM are used (for
IP-level packets).