Getting packets MAC source address in if_ethersubr.c

Ryan French rfrench at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 6 04:51:39 UTC 2008

Hi All,

For my implementation of MPLS I have just about run out of time for my
dissertation so at the moment I am trying to create fake routing table
entries e.t.c. rather than doing this properly (I will be doing this once uni
is finished and I have more free time to work on it). I now have receiving,
decoding and sending of packets working, except for one small problem. When I
send a packet back out the MAC address is wrong. I am looking for a way in
the ether_output function in if_ethersubr.c that I can get the MAC address of
the source of the packet and then just send it back to that source. If anyone
knows how to do this without having to use arpresolve or anything like that
(the IP address of the destination is not going to be the same as the IP
destination in the packet) or without having to setup a proper routing table
then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Ryan