lagg0.2 style vlans on lagg(4) interface

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 22 12:42:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

It looks like this patch will cause gratuitous ARP to be queued even
when the interface is not IFF_UP, is this intentional?

Niki Denev wrote:

> I think arp_gratuit() needs a better name.

arp_announce() ?

> Is if_ethersubr.c:ether_ifattach() good place to register the EVENT hook?

ARP is also used by FDDI and IEEE 802.5, as well as anything which
emulates this. Taking the call to arp_ifinit() out of if_setlladdr() is
likely to break this code.

> And if yes, what would be the best way to handle failure to register
> the hook, as the function is void?
>
> Should I worry about that, or just print a warning message and continue?

I see the C++-style comments - perhaps someone who knows event handlers
better than I can comment, I believe it's using one of the shared kernel
malloc pools with M_WAIT.

It looks like this won't run afoul of locking, but it is a change to a
fairly central path which needs to be considered carefully as it affects
consumers other than Ethernet drivers.

cheers
BMS