how to identify a PHY?

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 12 12:07:53 UTC 2008

Volker wrote:
> In short my original question better reads as "how do I know the kind of
> phy if no driver has been attached". Can one retrieve that information
> out of a verbose boot dmesg (from probing messages)?

You can't determine which PHY is in use unless a driver is attached,
because it's necessary to attach a driver in order to access the card's
MII registers. Same with any other OS.

If no PHY driver attached, but a NIC driver attached, you should see
    device_printf(dev, "MII without any PHY!\n");

It sounds like someone needs to instrument the code path mii_phy_probe()
to print useful information in the situation you describe.

cheers
BMS