VLAN trunking and fragmentation

Giulio Ferro auryn at zirakzigil.org
Fri Mar 14 05:14:55 PDT 2008

Giulio Ferro wrote:
> That's it!
> Now seems to work properly, the problem then is with hardware tagging.
>
> My question now is: can I use vlans without htag in a complex system with
> heavy traffic without a significant performance loss? If not, how much
> will it
> take to fix the issue with the driver?

There's seems to be another problem now.

If I send flood pings to the other host with big packets (say 2000
bytes) it works, but one
packet out of 4 or 5 takes a huge time to round-trip (about 1000ms),
whereas the rest
of the packets have a reasonable 0.2 ms average...

I fear this may lead to unacceptable performance for real-time protocols
(ie voip) in a
production environment.

Do you think the problem is localized in the "re" driver? If so I could
just change the
network interface and be done with that. (In production I can use bge
cards).

Thanks again.