IPFW, DIVERT, and if_bridge

Ronald Roskens ronr at econet.com
Thu Mar 13 08:52:18 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 07:16 -0700, Chris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I posted a similar message to Questions but received no
> answer so I'm reposting a paraphrase here to see if anyone
> knows.
>
> I built FreeBSD 7.0 with options DIVERT and if_bridge to
> see if I could make snort_inline work with the bridging
> firewall I'm building. I found that the divert would not
> direct packets to snort_inline which sounded a little like
> the experiences people had when they tried to do this
> with the pre-6.x bridge.
>
> Is it still not possible to use divert with if_bridge? Here
> is what I'm seeing in ipfw.
>
> 65000  48  7382 count ip from any to any
> 65001   0     0 divert 8300 ip from any to any
> 65010  48  7382 allow ip from any to any

Yes, it is possible to use divert with if_bridge and ipfw. It sounds
like you have not enabled packet filtering on the bridge.

I use the following:

# /etc/sysctl.conf
net.link.ether.ipfw=1
net.link.bridge.ipfw=0
net.link.bridge.pfil_bridge=0
net.link.bridge.pfil_member=1

# ipfw.conf
10000 divert 8000 ip from any to any out via bridge0