FYI: inpcb/pcbinfo mutex -> rwlock at some point in the mid-distant future

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 12 20:57:52 PDT 2008

Robert Watson wrote:
> One of those issues is that we need to demonstrate to ourselves that
> exclusive access contention is managed as well with rwlocks as with
> sleep mutexes, as these locks would continue to be fairly highly
> contended in TCP.  The other issue is that rwlocks don't support full
> priority propagation for reader access, although Jeff Roberson has
> recently improved fairness to writers with many readers.

Don't forget that p4 bms_netdev contains a number of optimizations for
the multicast paths -- there are lock acquisitions which are quite often
unnecessary, or whose granularity is too high for the data structure(s)
which need to be shared.

BMS