FBSD 1GBit router?

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 3 14:34:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 13:54 +0100, Łukasz Bromirski wrote:
> I don't know exact requirements and application used, but given IP TV
> deployments relying heavily on multicast, and all other "VoD"
> technologies also using multicast...I find Your comments disturbing :)
>
> However, if you don't control the network over which it will be
> transported, you need to replicate each stream...and so either
> you'll find bandwidth to do it (or pay for it) or be forced to switch
> to other design.

The 4 most used 'IPTV' (in that they deliver TV, over IP) in the UK (BBC
iPlayer, 4OD, Sky by Broadband, and itv.com) do not use multicast at
all. Some multicast streams are available from the BBC, but they are
notorious for not working with various different providers.

Clearly, whilst multicast may be the future, for now it is not.

Tom