too many open file descriptors messages since bind 9.4.2-P1 (port dns94)

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue Jul 15 21:18:41 UTC 2008

At Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:09:30 +0200,
Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > If that's regularly happening, I'm afraid recent P1 versions don't
> > handle that well, and recommend you try 9.4.3b2 ore 9.5.1b1.
>
> Or increase the number of file descriptors as a workaround, per my email :)

Does FreeBSD allow an application to increase FD_SETSIZE (at its
compilation time)?  I thought FD_SETSIZE defaults to 1024.  Any
9.x.y-P1 versions can only open FD_SETSIZE sockets, regardless of the
# FDs limit.

Besides, I guess that the P1 versions severely suffer from heavy
overhead of select(2) when it regularly opens more than 1000 sockets.
Even if 'too many open file' messages are gone, many users won't
accept the increased load due to the overhead.  Beta versions use
kqueue, eliminating the fundamental overhead as well as the (too low)
limitation of # of descriptors.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.