svn commit: r180256 - head/sys/dev/arl

Bruce Evans brde at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 9 08:50:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, John Baldwin wrote:

> Author: jhb
> Date: Fri Jul  4 17:48:34 2008
> New Revision: 180256
>
> Log:
>  Make arl(4) MPSAFE:
> -	ifp->if_snd.ifq_maxlen = IFQ_MAXLEN;
> +	IFQ_SET_MAXLEN(&ifp->if_snd, IFQ_MAXLEN);

Why do we obfuscate setting of ifq_maxlen using a macro, especially when
the setting is to a wrong default value?  The macro was introduced with
ALTQ changes, but seems to have never done anything different for ALTQ.
ALTQ also introduced an ifq_drv_maxlen field, but the macro provides no
help for managing this.  Drivers that support ALTQ end up with 2 settings
of ifq_*maxlen, one direct one for ifq_drv_maxlen and one obfuscated one
of ifq_maxlen.  arl apparently doesn't support ALTQ, and you didn't fix
this -- it still doesn't set ifq_drv_maxlen.

if_attach() uses the correct default value of ifqmaxlen if the driver
leaves ifp->if_snd.ifq_maxlen set to 0, but prints a bogus warning about
this.  Non-driver code under net/ still mostly doesn't use the obfuscation,
but uses IFQ_MAXLEN and ifqmaxlen almost perfectly randomly to have about
50% of each.

Since ifqmaxlen isn't a tuneable or sysctl, and is statically initialized
to IFQ_MAXLEN, not using only makes a difference if someone iniitalizes
it diffently using a debugger, so these bugs are normally just spelling
errors.  IFQ_MAXLEN is also too small for 1Gbps or even 100Nbps hardware
devices, so only drivers for old hardware and some software drivers can
use it anyway.

Bruce