Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 6 12:45:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Paul wrote:

> ULE + PREEMPTION for non SMP no major differences with SMP with ULE/4BSD and
> preemption ON/OFF
>
> 32 bit UP test coming up with new cpu and I'm installing dragonfly sometime
> this weekend :] UP: 1mpps in one direction with no firewall/no routing table
> is not too bad, but 1mpps both directions is the goal here 700kpps with full
> bgp table in one direction is not too bad Ipfw needs a lot of work, barely
> gets 500kpps with no routing table with a few ipfw rules loaded.. that's
> horrible Linux barely takes a hit when you start loading iptables rules ,
> but then again linux has a HUGE problem with routing random packet
> sources/ports .. grr My problem Is I need some box to do fast routing and
> some to do firewall.. :/ I'll have 32 bit 7-stable UP test with ipfw/routing
> table and then move on to dragonfly. I'll post the dragonfly results here as
> well as sign up for their mailing list.

First off, I would recommend using an 8-CURRENT kernel where possible
(obviously, with all debugging features disabled), because that's where most
of the work is going on right now.  MFCs are scheduled for quite a bit of it,
but over the course of several months, so using the 8-CURRENT kernel would
allow you to help us test and exercise the new code, as well as improve our
confidence in it so that it can be MFC'd in a timely manner :-).

Experience suggests that forwarding workloads see significant lock contention
in the routing and transmit queue code.  The former needs some kernel hacking
to address in order to improve parallelism for routing lookups.  The latter is
harder to address given the hardware you're using: modern 10gbps cards
frequently offer multiple transmit queues that can be used independently
(which our cxgb driver supports), but 1gbps cards generally don't.

LOCK_PROFILING is an excellent tool for diagnosing locking hot spots -- it has
a significant performance hit, but the results are generally accurate despite
this.  If your hardware supports hwpmc, that is also an excellent tool for
monitoring what's going on.  Seeing snapshots of, say, 10-20 seconds of
profiling in the steady state, would help us understand better what is going
on in your environment.

There's some quite interesting work going on to improve network memory
allocator efficiency, but that's a bit aways from commit to 8.x as I
understand it, and probably not on the 7.x merge path due to the potential
disruption it could cause.

There's also a patch going around to offload the em_start function to the task
queue that processes its input, which significantly reduces lock contention if
you have bursty transmit.  I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge