Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Sun Jul 6 08:13:49 UTC 2008

I'm no expert, but I imagine the problem is because the net processing
of FreeBSD is not pipelined enough.  We are now able to affordably throw
many gigabytes of RAM into a machine, as well 2 to 8 CPUs.  So why not
allow for big buffers and multiple processing steps?

I be happy to give up a bit of latency in order to increase the parallel
processing ability of packets travelling through the system.  I could be
wrong but I imagine it would be better to treat the processing of
pockets as a series of stages with queues (that can grow quite large if
necessary).