arplookup x.x.x.x failed: host is not on local network

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Thu Jul 3 07:48:28 UTC 2008

Hi,

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> I'm occasionally seeing pairs of messages like the following on
> my NAT host:
> arplookup 192.168.181.114 failed: host is not on local network
> arpresolve: can't allocate route for 192.168.181.114

Normally this happens in badly configured LAN.

Lets say we have two hosts in the same physical network (same switch for
example)
Host1 is configured 192.168.1.33/24 and Hosts2 have 192.168.1.1/30

Now when a broadcast or other packet is sent from Host1 it can reach
Host2 without a problem.
But when Host2 try reach directly Host1 it doesn't know how and from
here - can't allocate route  ...
I bet 192.168.181.114 have a wrong network mask ;)

--

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev