arplookup x.x.x.x failed: host is not on local network

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Jul 3 02:58:26 UTC 2008

I'm occasionally seeing pairs of messages like the following on
my NAT host:
arplookup 192.168.181.114 failed: host is not on local network
arpresolve: can't allocate route for 192.168.181.114

In my particular configuration, there are dual subnets between the NAT
and target host.  My initial assumption was that the request was
arriving on the other subnet and I added if_xname to the arplookup
printf() - but that shows that interface matches the IP address.
I've looked back through the mailing lists but the previous reports
of this problem don't match my scenario.

I've seen this with FreeBSD 5.3, 6.2 and 7.0.

The (in)frequency of the problem makes me wonder if it's actually a
resource exhaustion problem.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

--
Peter Jeremy