Multiple default routes on multihome host

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Mon Feb 18 22:33:11 UTC 2008

> Bill Moran wrote:
> >
> >> Bill,

> >> I had faced such situation once: I had multihomed host that was
> >> running Apache daemon that was announced via two DNS names that
> >> were corresponding to two different IPs, going via two different
> >> providers.  When the first provider's link goes down, the second
> >> provider is still alive, and when both providers are alive, the
> >> traffic is balanced via DNS round-robin alias.  Do you see some
> >> better way to do it via CARP, RIP, something different?  I am still
> >> interested in other possibilities.
> >
> > The canonical way to do this is with BGP.  I can be done with CARP
> > if both providers support it and are willing to work together.
>
> Unfortunately businesses tend to get bundled PA address space when
> purchasing leased lines off of ISP.  This means that a some what simple
> transition from provider A to provider B can not be done with BGP.  Also
>   as the OP states one the the address blocks that he has is a /25 which
> most ISP's will filter from the BGP address table because it is to small.

You're confusing issues.  The OP is in the process of a migration, in
which case the packet rewriting via pf/ipfw/etc is probably the best
approach.  Eygene is describing a different scenario with a permanent
multihomed system, in which case BGP is probably the best option, but
CARP _may_ be an option.

> I think the cost of learning BGP, getting an AS number and a suitable
> large block of PI address space, getting 2 routers that can do BGP,
> coupled with the consultancy costs charged by the ISP to setup the BGP
> feed totally out way the cost of just multihoming a box for a few
> days/weeks while the required changes take affect..  Ok so this is not
> ideal but hey it works and its simpler..

Agreed.  In fact, if you read the prior messages, I never disagreed.

Personally, I prefer to do this type of migration as a "flag day" where
everything just gets switched over all at once ... but that's not always
possible.  The OP seems to have a number of systems with public IPs,
and it's harder to do a flag day with a lot of systems.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran at collaborativefusion.com