FreeBSD network stack Vs others

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Mon Feb 4 11:30:52 PST 2008

* ithilgore -- <ithilgore.fbsd at gmail.com> [080204 06:59] wrote:
>  I 'd like to learn what are the basic differences ( pros and cons ) between
> the
> FreeBSD network stack and the other OSs' ( especially linux )
>
> I know that linux has had everything rewritten from scratch as far as the
> implementation of tcp-ip and the sockets are concerned and would like to
> know if this has made it actually more robust or state-of-the-art than
> FreeBSD's or the opposite.
>
> Some actual technical details and references would be appreciated.

Linux's stack hasn't been rewritten from the BSD one, it was written
from scratch.

Linux's tcp/ip stack has been rewritten many times over the years
with the promise of large performance gains.

The fact of the matter is that the performance on the "bleeding
edge" of both systems, FreeBSD and Linux, is about the same.

>From a BSD proponent's perspective, I would take the pragmatic
viewpoint that everytime Linux reinvents its stack to get performance
or some other feature FreeBSD isn't far behind with a relatively
minor change to its stack to accomplish the same feat.

-Alfred