+ipsec_common_input: no key association found for SA

Gabe nrml at att.net
Mon Dec 29 14:18:37 UTC 2008

This is what setkey -Da returns:
box# setkey -Da
Invalid extension type
Invalid extension type
box#

I only have one peer (site to site link) and this appears to happen sporadically with no particular pattern that I can figure out. I also tried rebuilding the ipsec-tools port as a just in case and that made no change. This is some more log info:

Dec 29 05:50:37 box kernel: ipsec_common_input: no key association found for SA 69.x.x.x[0]/03e4aece/50
Dec 29 05:50:39 box last message repeated 64 times
Dec 29 05:51:33 box kernel: WARNING: pseudo-random number generator used for IPsec processing
Dec 29 05:54:54 box kernel: ipsec_common_input: no key association found for SA 69.x.x.x[0]/0cb33e2b/50
Dec 29 05:54:56 box last message repeated 8 times
Dec 29 06:07:32 box kernel: ipsec_common_input: no key association found for SA 69.x.x.x[0]/0c4ccc0d/50
Dec 29 06:07:44 box last message repeated 241 times

This started happening after I patched the kernel for NAT_T and enabled NAT_T on racoon, perhaps the natt_keepalive is too long at 20 seconds?

Here is the racoon.con:

padding         # options are not to be changed
{
        maximum_length  20;
        randomize       off;
        strict_check    off;
        exclusive_tail  off;

}

timer           # timing options. change as needed
{
        counter         5;
        interval        20 sec;
        persend         1;
        natt_keepalive  20 sec;
        phase1          30 sec;
        phase2          15 sec;
}

listen          # address [port] that racoon will listening on
{
        isakmp          69.x.x.x [500];
        isakmp_natt     69.x.x.x [4500];
}

remote  69.x.x.x [500]
{
        exchange_mode   main,base;
        doi             ipsec_doi;
        situation       identity_only;
        my_identifier   address 69.x.x.x;
        peers_identifier        address 69.x.x.x;
        lifetime        time 12 hour;
        passive         off;
        proposal_check  obey;
        nat_traversal   on;
        generate_policy off;

                        proposal {
                          encryption_algorithm    blowfish;
                          hash_algorithm          md5;
                          authentication_method   pre_shared_key;
                          lifetime time           24 hours;
                          dh_group                1;
                        }
}

sainfo  (address 192.168.10.0/24 any address 192.168.20.0/24 any)               # address $network/$netmask $type addres
s $network/$netmask $type ( $type being any or esp)
{                               # $network must be the two internal networks you are joining.
        pfs_group       1;
        lifetime        time    36000 sec;
        encryption_algorithm    blowfish,3des,des;
        authentication_algorithm        hmac_md5,hmac_sha1;
        compression_algorithm   deflate;

Thanks in advance,

/gabe