A new tool for low level testing...

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Thu Dec 25 00:35:21 UTC 2008

gnn at freebsd.org wrote:
> At Tue, 23 Dec 2008 13:00:12 -0800,
> julian wrote:
>> gnn at freebsd.org wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just checked in a small tool to HEAD in
>>> /usr/src/tools/tools/ether_reflect which uses pcap and bpf to reflect
>>> ethernet packets just about the driver layer without involving the
>>> protocol stacks.  This is useful for people doing low level testing of
>>> drivers and switches.  If you happen to be lucky enough to have an
>>> ethernet packet generator (ixia et al) this will do what you want in
>>> terms of reflecting the packets back.
>>>
>>> Later,
>>> George
>>
>> OR
>>
>> ngctl mkpeer em0: echo lower echo
>>

>> hmmmmm no this would leave the source and destination headers in hte
>> same order.. they need to be swapped..
>>
>> ok so I need to make a patch, but it would be much quicker than a user
>> utility..
>
> I agree that netgraph is the right long term answer.  I look forward
> to what you come up with.

I just checked in ng_ether_echo

seems to work for me...

reflects any received packet back at the source address.

cd /usr/src/sys/modules/netgraph/ether_echo
make
make install
kldload ng_ether
kldload ng_ether_echo
ngctl mkpeer em0: ether_echo lower echo

should work for 7 and 6 without any change.

it's not hooked to the build yet but I'll do that when ive seen ot
loop back into my system via the mirrors..

> Also, +1 to an improved set of docs on netgraph.

for all my spare time.. :-)