Packet Loss Under FreeBSD 7.0

richard lll chodong2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 10:09:30 PST 2008

Hi,

I am new to FreeBSD and I am developing a program that does heavy use of UDP multicast over the LAN. This program is incurring 90-100 percent packet loss on FreeBSD. Packet loss occurs even when a I send just 3 packets. When I send 1000 packets I get 100% packet loss. netstat on FreeBSD shows all the packets, but none/few make it to my program.

The program is single-source for FreeBSD, Linux and Solaris and neither Linux nor Solaris has anything like this level of packet loss.

I am running a generic kernel, Intel P4, 512MB. I use a quad port SUN HME card 100T. I can telnet, ftp, etc. just fine.

My guess is something is misconfigured in FreeBSD. Does anyone know what I need to tune?

Thanks,

/cho