HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed

Li, Qing qing.li at bluecoat.com
Mon Dec 15 12:00:24 PST 2008

The increase in "Use" count is not a leak. Before the arp-v2 commit,
the counter increment occurs in the ARP entry for the gateway, but
"rt_gwroute" is no longer necessary and has been removed. The outgoing
interface is known from the default route entry, and because the gateway

is on-link, an ARP search is made in that interface.
The side effect is the "Use" count is increased in the default route
entry. You will also notice a similar behavior when you access
on-link hosts, i.e., the "Use" count for the interface route
192.169.1.0/24 will go up for every outgoing packet.

-- Qing