vge driver does not work on a VIA EPIA EN12000EG

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 20:01:54 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 04:03:27AM +0100, Mam Ruoc wrote:
 > Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
 > >I don't know. :-(
 > >As I said I no longer have working vge(4) hardware and it's hard to
 > >write/test driver without access to the hardware. The code you've
 > >tested contains changes related to MII operation mode and critical
 > >register configuration as well as other improvements. The driver
 > >still needs special handling in several edge cases and more code
 > >to track link state transition, interrupt moderation etc.
 >
 > Hm...
 >
 > So that means that FreeBSD from 7.0 does not support this chipset's NIC?

No, vge(4) supported all known VIA velocity cotrollers when it was
written. Newer revisions of controller seem to require some special
handling and the datasheet for recent controllers are not available
to open source devlopers.

 > I have to go for another *unix then.

I don't know how well other open source OSes support VIA velocity
controllers but the situation would be roughly same. For instance
I don't see any special code for newer controllers in Linux. YMMV.

 > Thank you for your help anyway, hope the problem get solved sometime in
 > the future.

Yeah, I hope so and thanks for testing!
--
Regards,