Small patch to multicast code...

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 30 04:35:16 UTC 2008

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 06:41:45PM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

>>> Hmm, never considered the m_pullup guaranteed a private copy (but I see
>>> it in the code).  The original semantics were just that the data was
>>> contiguous.
>>>
>> funny, i thought the guarantee of a writable copy was also part
>> of the original semantics :)
>>

> The bridge code does a deep copy of the packet for each interface it
> broadcasts on due the firewall code modifying the headers. It sounds
> like this should just be a copy+pullup instead.

I'd not do that.  I think there are paths that assume the deep copy.
Right now the network code is very poor honoring read-only-ness of mbuf
chains.  To get this right we need to do a good audit.  I know I hit
issues when doing some tricks w/ marking rx buffers read-only to avoid
cache flushes.  netbsd trys to be more pedantic but still has problems too.

    Sam