Signal quality/strength of FreeBSD hostap vs. commercial products

Peter BLOK pblok at bsd4all.org
Wed Aug 27 11:14:33 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am trying to build a FreeBSD wireless router for a while and I noticed
that the signal strength is always substantial lower compared to common
available wireless routers.

At first I thought it was due to the wireless card I used, but I have tried
several different ones and several different antennas, but it doesn¹t come
close to common routers.

Strangely enough when I started to use an adhoc connection, the signal
strength reported was as good as a common router.

For clients I have used different cards as well as Windoze and MACOSX.

Setting of txpower doesn¹t do anything.

Any explanations?

Peter