Summer of Code is over!!

Ryan French rfrench at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 18 21:13:43 UTC 2008

Hi all,

As those of you involved in the Google Summer of Code know, today is the last
day of coding for the project. However, I still have a lot to do on my
implementation of MPLS, and will continue to work on this until it is
working. I would like to say thank you to all of those who have helped me
over the course of the program in trying to get this project up and running.

With that in mind I have submitted the semi-finished code for trying to get
sending and receiving of packets working. Unfortunately I have come up
against a bit of a brick wall in terms of trying to figure out the exact
inner workings of FreeBSD. At the moment, in theory at least, the sending and
receiving of packets should work, however I am stuck as to how to integrate my
code properly with the kernel. So far I have created a mpls_init which
contains a netisr_register function, as well as inserted the appropriate code
into the ether_demux function, but it still does not appear to be running the
code when an MPLS packet is received.

If anyone would like to look at the code and give me any feedback on how to
improve it, or any ideas on how to get it working, it would be greatly
appreciated, and I understand it is a very big ask of anyone to look through
it, so I will thank you in advance for your time.

Thank you for being such a great community and helping me get through this
summer of code. No doubt you will be hearing from me on the mailing lists as
I continue to try and get this project working, and possibly even move onto
other projects.

-Ryan French