bridging wireless station

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 5 00:01:36 UTC 2008

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 12:13:09PM -1000, David Cornejo wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i would like to bridge a wireless client to ethernet (in 8-CURRENT) -
>> the last bug in the if_bridge man page says this is a no-no.
>>

> The bridge man page needs to be updated as its possible to do this now.
>

>> the question is whether this could be worked around - don't need the
>> highest performance, so maybe netgraph or even a userland daemon would
>> work.  i don't have any ability to do anything at the access point end
>> so some of the tunneling protocols are out
>>

> The system supports wdslegacy and dwds modes. lecacy takes a static
> bssid address to forward the traffic to, this mode can only be encrypted
> with wep.
>
> dwds is a unique feature where the card connects as a standard station
> (with any crypto, such as wpa), and then is set into wds mode.  This
> isnt hooked into the system scripts at all and needs to be finished off.
>
> Have a look at tools/tools/net80211/scripts/setup.wds* and try some
> scenarios out.

A nit: dwds probably needs to be integrated with hostapd as there's some
work involved that's best in a long-running application and I can't
imagine anyone using it w/o some form of security.  Having hostapd
handle this would also simplify configuration.

The integration work is straightforward and would be a good project for
someone trying to learn about the wireless facilities.

    Sam