permissions on /etc/namedb

Eugene Grosbein eugen at kuzbass.ru
Sun Aug 3 08:06:57 UTC 2008

Hi!

I need /etc/namedb to be owned by root:bind and have permissions 01775,
so bind may write to it but may not overwrite files that belong to root
here, and I made it so. Suprise!

# /etc/rc.d/named restart
Stopping named.
Waiting for PIDS: 1892.
etc/namedb changed
        gid expected 0 found 53 modified
        permissions expected 0755 found 01775 modified
Starting named.

I dislike it very much when a system thinks it knows better what user needs.
Also, I do not want to move a place where bind writes its files to another
location just because system does not want it to write here.
Why was this done such way, do I miss something?

Eugene Grosbein