Application layer classifier for ipfw

Ermal Luçi ermal.luci at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 11:34:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Mike Makonnen <mtm at wubethiopia.com> wrote:
> Patrick Tracanelli wrote:
>>
>> eculp escreveu:

>>> That would be great, Mike.  I'm seeing more and more bandwidth being used
>>> with p2p that I haven't been able to control with pf.  The thought has
>>> entered my mind to change back to ipfw that I used for many years before
>>> changing to pf maybe 3 years ago.  I also found dummynet to be easy and
>>> practical to set up for both incoming and outgoing connections.  Something
>>> else I haven't figured out how to do the same with altq, if even possible.
>>>  In fact, if I am able to control p2p with pf I may not even need
>>> bidirectional bandwidth limits.

As for pf(4) i have mostly finished divert support on pf. The number
on the protocol means a dummynet queue/pipe instead of a rule number
for ipfw.
Surely with dummynet(4) support into pf(4) too. I will polish the
patch and post it later on.

>>> Thanks for sharing your very practical solution to a real world problem.
>>>  Have a great weekend.
>>
>> If it could be rewritten as a netgaph node, maybe it could tag the
>> classified packets, and tagging be compatible with both pf and ipfw (under
>> discretionary user choice with configuration switchs), so both ipfw or pf
>> could be used.

This means doing regex in kernel or just a daemon as mpd on top of netgraph?

> I'll look into this when I have time.
>>
>> However a lot of work has to be done before. It works better on i386 than
>> amd64 right now, wont compile on RELENG_6 without modifying some gcc tweaks,
>> etc.
>
> Do you have a patch :-) ? Barring that, can you email me a copy of the build
> output?
>>
>> I hope enhacing it can be a GSoC project in the future, or we (community)
>> can raise some funds to make it happen faster. It is really a long-time
>> needed feature to FreeBSD.
>>

> Cheers.
>
> --
> Mike Makonnen       | GPG-KEY: http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/mtm.asc