Howto send a limited broadcast?

Boris Kochergin spawk at acm.poly.edu
Sun Apr 13 06:25:11 UTC 2008

tmm wrote:

> Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
>> tmm wrote:
>>> So, can anyone suggest how I can send a limited broadcast (on an
>>> interface that has been initalized with an IP and a subnet)?
>>
>> Use the IP_ONESBCAST option and send to the network broadcast address
>> for that subnet. The stack will change it into 255.255.255.255 on
>> output. See man page ip(4) for details.
>>
>> It's a hack, but it's largely due to how the stack has worked
>> historically.
>>
>> BMS
> Thanks.  I wasn't aware of that option.
>
> But now I find that this option is not present in my (eCos port of)
> FreeBSD stack.  Either it was removed during the port, or the ported
> version is too old.
>
> Perhaps the best thing for me to do is to look at the 'normal' FreeBSD
> stack (as opposed to the eCos one) and see how IP_ONESBCAST is
> implemented.  Then perhaps I could do the same thing in my FreeBSD stack.
>
> Is there a way for me to download the FreeBSD source code without
> actually downloading, burning, and installing FreeBSD?  Looking around
> the FreeBSD website I don't see a source download link.
>
> thanks,
> Tom.
You can get them via CVS:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/cvsup.html.

Also, although it, too, may be considered hacky, if the system you're
working on has pcap(3), you could just manually craft the broadcast
frame and send it out the interface yourself. I can provide some sample
code.

-Boris