Firewall and VPN considerations

Christer Hermansson mail at chdevelopment.se
Sat Sep 22 07:43:31 PDT 2007

Hello

I am planning on setting up a FreeBSD Firewall that will be used to
protect a LAN.

The firewall will also act as a VPN-gateway for external workstations
running Windows XP Professional, I will use Microsoft's ipsec software
included in the  Windows XP.

I will also use the firewall's external side to connect with ipsec to
other LAN which have Cisco VPN equipment.

The firewall will use IPFW and doing NAT for the internal LAN.

I would like to have som advice/opinions on the following isusses:

- To achive NAT with IPFW I must use ipdivert, no other methods exists,
wrong or right ?

- In this thread
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2007-September/015290.html
they say quad core does not raise the performance compared to duo core
when building a router. I will have more than packet forwarding and
userland processes, e.g. NAT and IPSEC so I think more cores will help.
Should I get a machine with duo core cpu or quad core cpu, does quad
helps the performance ?

- In this thread
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2006-June/010909.html
they suggest not to use gif together with ipsec to achive compatibility
with cisco etc, so I'm planing to skip gif, wrong or right ? What are
the benefits of using gif ?

- In this mail
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2007-June/012632.html
they suggest gif and FAST_IPSEC. On the man page for FAST_IPSEC(4) I
find the text "is an experimental implementation", maybe the man page
just needs an update or is FAST_IPSEC not suited for production
environments ?

In the offcial FreeBSD handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ipsec.html
they say not to use FAST_IPSEC, and show the use of gif, however I think
this needs to be updated/rewritten. (If I get the time I really feel for
writing an alternative page about IPSEC with FreeBSD and maybe the
result get accepted for inclusion in the handbook.)

--

Christer Hermansson