tcp md5 checksums broken in 7.0-beta3

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 29 00:19:03 PST 2007

Bjoern,

Thanks very much for tracking down and fixing this regression.

When I originally worked on tcp-md5 around 4 years ago, I didn't have
the luxury of fast enough machines to run VMs, and open source VMs were
considerably less mature.

One idea that's occurred to me, working on my current project, is to be
able to run FreeBSD in a virtual machine type emulator (such as QEMU or
Bochs) as part of a battery of regression tests.

This has the advantage that no invasive changes are needed to regression
test the networking code, other than customising the kernel config for
the tests, and hooking up the appropriate software 'test probes' to the
kernel under test.

It has the disadvantage that some form of temporary store for the root
filesystem needs to be presented to the kernel under test. I guess this
could be dealt with by using some kind of NFS server -- again, this also
has the disadvantage that it goes through the networking code, so being
able to slap together a very minimal root fs image file would be useful
here.

Thanks again...
BMS