Broadcom NetXtreme II BMC5708 no carrier

supportsobaka at mail.ru supportsobaka at mail.ru
Sat Nov 24 07:32:31 PST 2007

Hello

EFC> IIRC, there is some problems with the driver in FreeBSD for these
EFC> network cards.  My guess is you've got a newer Dell server?  Your only
EFC> real option is to install a different network card.

This is  Intel blade SBXD132, same as IBM HS21
Both integrated NICs - Broadcom NetXtreme II BMC5708
It is impossible to add another cards there :(

In Hardware notes
(http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/hardware-i386.html)
we found support of Broadcom NetXtreme II family, so bought this
product. But just now I found additional information that there is BCM5708S B2 NICs
in our blades. I think, it is last revision.

Here is comments
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sys/dev/bce/if_bce.c?rev=1.2.2.20;content-type=text%2Fplain;only_with_tag=RELENG_6

 * The following controllers are not supported by this driver:
 *   BCM5706C A0, A1
 *   BCM5706S A0, A1, A2, A3
 *   BCM5708C A0, B0
 *   BCM5708S A0, B0, B1, B2

  We can't install another OS than freeebsd.

 Do you know any people who can write patch, or driver for a fee?

 Or is any way to use linux's drivers for this NIC in compatibility
 mode?

--
Oleg