pf misfeature

Robert Blacquiere freebsd-net at blacquiere.nl
Thu Nov 8 12:01:26 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 08:08:52PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav wrote:
> Given appropriate definitions for $eth and $lan, you'd expect the
> following rule to simply pass all traffic originating from and destined
> for the LAN:
>
>   pass on $eth from $lan to $lan
>
> However, in pf, "keep state" is *implicit* (why?), so you'd expect it to
> turn into something like this:

I think this was turned on in the OpenBSD as of 4.0 i think. Default
keep state.

To negate this behavour in OpenBSD pf you can add no state

:

pass on $eth from $lan to $lan no state

I'me not sure if this also works on FreeBSD

Regards

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
OpenBSD: Hey guys you left some holes out there!