Anyone using CARP on vlans?

Håkon Granlund hg at sircon.no
Thu Nov 8 03:26:00 PST 2007

Klavs Klavsen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I can see that there's been problems in the past with CARP and vlan support.
>
> I would be happy, if you could tell me if you have any experience with
> running carp on vlan interfaces?
>
> I intend to run it on a FreeBSD 6.2 with em interfaces. This works fine
> for another firewall, but it has no vlans.

We've been using CARP on both virtual and physical NICs for almost two
years. I haven't seen anything directly related to VLANs, but rather on
CARP. We're using re, em, xl, bge, sk and even the dc drivers - as both
vlandev and vanilla.

Here's one of the PRs (there are a couple, but I think they're all
referring to the same bug)
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/92776
The patch committed doesn't fix the problem on my end, though.

As long as you don't touch the CARPs once they're up you're ok. For a
never-changing network that we're running, that's ok. Besides, we have
two CARP-machines, so if one hits the panic, the other does the job very
well.

--
Håkon