Merging rc.d/network_ipv6 into rc.d/netif

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 15:10:19 PST 2007

On 11/5/07, Mike Makonnen <mtm at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Most IP related knobs will have an ipv4_ and ipv6_ version. To make the
> transition easier rc.subr(8) will "automagically" DTRT for the following
> knobs:
>         gateway_enable     => ipv4_gateway_enable
>         router_enable      => ipv4_router_enable
>         router             => ipv4_router
>         router_flags       => ipv4_router_flags
>         defaultrouter      => ipv4_defaultrouter
>         static_routes      => ipv4_static_routes
>         static_routes_<IF> => ipv4_static_routes_<IF>
>         route_<XXX>        => ipv4_route_<XXX>
>         dhclient_program   => ipv4_dhclient_program
>         dhclient_flags     => ipv4_dhclient_flags
>         dhclient_flags_<IF> => ipv4_dhclient_flags_<IF>
>         background_dhclient_<IF> => ipv4_background_dhclient_<IF>
>
> Please try it and let me know what you think.

Personally, I'd prefer the new names be along the lines of
ifconfig_<interface>_ipv4, ifconfig_<interface>_ipv6,
defaultrouter_ipv4, defaultrouter_ipv6, dhclient_program_ipv4,
dhclient_program_ipv6, etc.

The alphabetical ordering of my rc.conf file will remain more
sensible, at least to my mind. All the dhclient knobs would still be
grouped together, etc. But separating rc.conf into an ipv4 section and
an ipv6 section (which your names would do) is entirely reasonable, so
I don't feel strongly about it. And your names would segregate network
configuration knobs from all the other things found in rc.conf, which
some might view as an advantage.

And this would be a good time to change defaultrouter to default_router!

- Bob