two public ip addresses on one interface

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 25 20:42:05 UTC 2007

Andrei Manescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I want to put two public IP addresses, with different subnetmasks (my ISP is changing some subnets and for two months I will be able to use two public ip addresses) on the same interface (xl0) my rc.conf shuld look like this:
>
> ifconfig_xl0="inet 84.125.210.108  netmask 255.255.252.0"
> ifconfig_xl0_alias0="inet 81.66.10.36 netmask 255.255.255.255" (this ip address has mask /24 )
>
> or is there any other possibility to have two ip addresses on the same nic, besides aliases ??

Did you try setting the alias with the correct subnet? IIRC, the rule
that you have to use 255.255.255.255 for the alias only applies if the
second (or more) IP address is in the SAME subnet. I seem to recall
doing what you described at some point in the past ...

hth,

Doug