100 mbps fiber card for FreeBSD 6?

Richard Tector richardtector at thekeelecentre.com
Fri May 4 19:12:04 UTC 2007

Jack Vogel wrote:
> On 5/4/07, Richard Tector <richardtector at thekeelecentre.com> wrote:
>> Erik wrote:
>> > Anyone have any good experiences with 100mbps fiber cards for FreeBSD?
>> > There don't seem to be many people trying to use this (admittedly
>> > slightly dated) technology.  The 3CR990B-FX-97 from 3Com works with
>> > the txp driver (with a patch so that the card is recognized), however
>> > that driver itself is broken, even with copper cards.
>> >
>> > Can anyone recommend a card that will function well under FreeBSD?
>>
>> In my opinion you'd be better of getting a 100baseFX <-> 100baseTX media
>> converter and then a well supported 100/1000baseT card if the
>> application allows.
>> Alternatively, I've used the 100baseFX Intel cards in the past which use
>> the well looked after fxp driver.
>
> LOL, why would you want 100Mb fiber? If Intel sells such a thing I'm
> not aware of it. The cables would probably cost more than the NIC :)

We have a lot of 100mbit fiber equipment. Upgrading to gigabit would be
unneccessary and costly.
It's probably 3-4 years since I got rid of our last 100baseFX fiber
NICs. I'm fairly sure they were Intel. Could be mistaken however, it was
a while back.

> We sell lots of Gig fiber, modernize would be my recommendation.
If Erik is connecting to an existing 100base infrastructure and all that
is required is a £10 card off eBay, how can you recommend such an
expensive course of action? It could cost thousands.

Erik,
A quick google suggests that the Allied Telesyn 100baseFX cards are
supported by the pcn driver. Not sure if that is of any use to you. A
look on the UK eBay lists 3 currently for sale at about £5.

We've got maybe 20-25 of the Allied Telesyn 100baseFX->TX media
converters round the buildings. Never had any trouble in years of use.
It's a shame you've had issues. Would certainly simplify choosing a
suitable network card.

Regards,

Richard