kern/109815: wrong interface identifier at pfil_hooks for vlans + if_bridge

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 12 13:20:54 UTC 2007

Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> This is a different point. The bridge wants to know about bridge
> members MACs just because it should catch the packets that are
> destined to the bridge members. It is the only way for an L2 thing
> that is operating in the promiscious mode.

Correct.
> For our case (when MACs are the same): I think that rik@ has explained
> it rather good, so you should read his message once again. Perhaps,
> we can talk about this off-list and in Russian, if you prefer.

The problem isn't going to go away.

It will get bigger when 802.3ad trunking is introduced. Andrew Thompson
is currently working on this code. It may also affect the 802.11 code in
future, which as you know is layered around Ethernet.

It would be good to have a well thought out architectural solution for
this problem.

Regards,
BMS