kern/112710: [re] if_re driver detects incorrect b243a405a405 MAC address on SMC9452TX-1 pci gigabit cards

W Forms wforms at safe-mail.net
Fri Jun 29 20:20:08 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR kern/112710; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: W Forms <wforms at safe-mail.net>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/112710: [re] if_re driver detects incorrect b243a405a405 MAC address on SMC9452TX-1 pci gigabit cards
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:16:23 +0200

 Today I run a test using the "NetBSD Live! 2007" live-CD, which is
 apparently based on NetBSD 4.0 BETA.
 NetBSD also uses the re driver for these cards. Upon boot all the "5
 bad cards" are detected as RealTek 8169SB gigabit adapters and
 believe or not, each and every single adapter uses its own correct
 MAC address.
 SO whatever the problem is in the FreeBSD and OpenBSD re driver, the
 NetBSD guys have already solved it. Or, they didn't scew it up in the
 first place! :-)
 Either way, it might be worthwile talking to them about this defect
 or having a thorough look at their re driver code (or the code of any
 related networking module).
 I also run a test with a Gentoo Linux Live CD which also uses the
 correct MAC addresses.
 Unfortunately this is where my abilities stop.

 Somebody, Please!
 You don't have to reinvent the solution, NetBSD already/still has the
 answer.

 Regards,
 Keve