ppp/peers/* files

Artyom Viklenko artem at aws-net.org.ua
Sun Jun 24 08:31:46 UTC 2007

Jim Stapleton wrote:
> I can't find a way to specify mppe-128 for either pptp or pppd in the
> man files, and every doc I see (including the man pages examples,
> which don't work when I specify it in the file) seem to suggest that I
> use either "mppe-128" or "require-mppe-128" for pppd, neither of which
> work. Any suggestions?

As far as I know, pppd in FreeBSD does not support natively mppc and
needs patches. (Maybe this functionality provided by pptp.)

But MPD does! And it support it using in-kernel netgraph subsystem.
So, I suggest to install mpd and set it up to connect to your Windows
VPN server.

Your configs may look like this.

mpd.conf file:

default:
	load pptp0

pptp0:
         new -i ng0 pptp0 pptp0
         set bundle enable compression
         set bundle disable multilink
         set bundle authname "your-username"
         set bundle password "your-password"
         set iface disable on-demand
         set iface idle 0
         set iface mtu 1460
         set iface route default
         set link yes acfcomp protocomp
         set link disable pap
         set link accept chap-md5 chap-msv1 chap-msv2 chap
         set link enable no-orig-auth
         set link mtu 1460
         set link mru 1460
         set link keep-alive 10 60
         set ipcp yes vjcomp
         set ipcp ranges 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
         set ccp yes mppc
         set ccp yes mpp-e40
         set ccp yes mpp-e56
         set ccp yes mpp-e128
         set ccp yes mpp-stateless
         set pptp peer <ip-of-your-vpn-server>
         set pptp disable incoming
         set pptp enable originate out-call
         set pptp disable windowing
         set pptp disable delayed-ack
	open iface

mpd.links file:

pptp0:
         set link type pptp

Also make shure you have loaded (or compiled in kernel):

ng_bpf.ko
netgraph.ko
ng_ether.ko
ng_iface.ko